Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Spring please now thanks.

It's strange to go into a grocery store and be aware of the consumer demographic the place is targeting. Yesterday, I went to Foodland in what I guess is north Charleston. The frozen foods section was bigger than the produce section, and the frozen desserts section was even bigger than that. There were two whole aisles of candy. Country music piped through the store speakers. As I drew my conclusions about all these observations, I started to feel unbearably self-conscious about myself. What is my target demographic? Anyhow, the store did have RAMPS, which I can't even find at the farmer's market.
The Foodland in Kanawha City plays old-timey 40's music, they keep a real butcher on staff during the day, and it's full of old people. Asshole place on Corridor G sells sushi, wine, and fancy soap, and it's full of assholes (aaand some nice people, including me..buying sushi..sometimes.)

I finished my design for the East End Streetworks banner project. I have no idea if it's what they were looking for, or had in mind, but it's "my interpretation" of the east end...
Beginning sketch:
Sketch for east end banner

Finished Product:
East End Streetworks banner

3 comments:

heidi daisybones said...

So so beautiful! Interesting thoughts, too. We shop at that Foodland sometimes and they have random things like Indian convenience food that aren't to be found elsewhere except for Asshole Place, a term that made me giggle. I call it the Hellmouth, lumped in with the strip mall on out the Corridor.

Charleston Catholic / Clay Center Project said...

Awesome! I can't wait to see these all in banner form. Yay for public art!

And yeah, I totally feel the same way about the three Foodlands. Try coming to Spencer, where I live -- you can't find anything low-carb, ethnic, or green. Bleh!!!

Heidi -- The cool Indian grocery next to Cilantro's has some neat Indian convenience foods. And it's funny you should mention the Hellmouth -- that was my nickname for the last school where I taught. Thinking of it in terms of Buffy scenarios got me through it. ;P

Mercbear said...

I love your banner and have a great button from your piece??? I had a sneak peak at the finished digital files and am amazed at them all!!

I call asshole kroger the Gucci kroger and rarely go there. Awesome descriptions of the grocery demographics!! Also, big International Grocery store in Kanawha City, just down past the old Southern Kitchen- dirty and disorganized, but Indian old school with everything from fresh mutton and veggies you've never seen to frozen meals with foreign languages and a pic only.